This tasty dish is a real winner and so simple to prepare. Cleaning and de-bearding mussels can be a bit of a chore, so to save time buy the 1kg vacuum packed pre-cleaned and debearded mussels, available from good seafood retailers. The garlic butter can be prepared up to 1 day in advance, making it ideal for entertaining.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a starter):
30g melted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped parsley
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 kg mussels, pre-scrubbed and debearded (available from seafood retailers)
1. Mix together the first 6 ingredients.
2. Pre-heat a barbeque to medium heat.
3. Place the mussels on the barbeque, removing them as soon as they open. This will take about 5 minutes.
4. Allow the mussels to cool slightly, then snap off the top shell, leaving the mussel still attached to the bottom shell.
5. Place about ½ teaspoon of the garlic butter mixture on top of each mussel.
6. Return the mussel half shells to the barbeque, ensuring they are level so the juices stay inside the shells. Cook for 2 minutes or until sizzling.
7. Serve with fresh bread (to soak up the lovely juices) and a good bottle of chardonnay. Enjoy!