Asparagus season is reaching its peak in Australia, and as a result it’s inexpensive, plentiful and flavoursome. Three good reasons to be incorporating asparagus into your menu!
In this recipe, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus is paired with Haloumi cheese and dressed with a lemon chive dressing – a divine combination! This dish works really well cooked on a barbeque – perfect for relaxed summer dining. Serve it as either a starter or lunch, together with with fresh crusty bread and a glass of sauvignon blanc.
Ingredients (serves 4):
20 spears of asparagus, of similar thickness (about 2 bunches)
10 thin slices prosciutto, (available from most deli’s)
A little olive oil for brushing
1 x 250g block haloumi cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
100g baby rocket leaves
Lemon chive dressing:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1½ tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoons finely chopped chives
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Large non-stick frypan
1. Snap off the woody ends of each asparagus spear and trim the ends with a knife.
2. Lightly brush one side of each prosciutto slice with olive oil and cut each slice in half lengthways.
3. Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each asparagus spear, with the oil coated side closest to the asparagus (to help it stick).
4. Drain the haloumi and cut into 8 slices.
5. For the dressing: place all dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the frypan on a medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and haloumi, and cook for about 3-4 minutes, turning both the haloumi and asparagus once halfway through cooking. The haloumi should be golden and the asparagus should be tender with the prosciutto light brown.
7. Divide the baby rocket leaves between 4 plates. Place 5 asparagus spears and 2 pieces of haloumi on each plate. Give the dressing a good shake and drizzle it over the asparagus and haloumi.