Recipe: Strawberry Clafoutis
As my regular readers would know, I am a big advocate of seasonal cooking. There are so many great reasons for using fruits and vegetables that are in season – they’re at their best, they’re inexpensive and because they don’t to travel great distances it’s better for the environment. Being late Spring, we are currently enjoying a beautiful selection of fruits, including mangoes, strawberries and pineapples.
Clafoutis is a fruity, custard-like French dessert. This version I created is gluten free, as the almond meal completely replaces the flour often added in this dish. The fruit I use for this dish depends on the season, and at the moment I’m making it with strawberries. Peaches, plums, apricots, rhubarb and cherries are other excellent choices.
If making this dish for a dinner party, you can make the egg batter in advance (steps 2 and 3) - just cover and refrigerate until you are ready to bake the clafoutis. Clafoutis can also be baked in 6 x individual 1-cup gratin dishes – divide the fruit and batter evenly and reduce cooking time to 25-30 minutes.
This dish can be served either hot or cold (cold leftovers make a decadent breakfast!). Serve it with a Pink Moscato.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
125g almond meal
125g caster sugar
2 x 250g punnets of strawberries, hulled and halved
To garnish: sifted icing sugar
To serve: cream or vanilla ice cream
26cm pie dish or similar sized baking dish, greased
Method (10 minutes prep and 35 minutes cooking time):
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the eggs, milk, cream and vanilla extract in a food processor and process until well combined. If you don’t own a food processor, this can be done with a balloon whisk.
3. Add the almond meal, caster sugar and salt and process until the mixture is smooth.
4. Arrange the strawberries evenly over the base of the pie or baking dish. Pour over the egg batter. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the clafoutis is golden and set (a skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean).
5. To serve, dust with icing sugar and serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.